Thursday, December 20, 2012

Simple Semi-Homemade Apple Cider



A few weeks ago I was grocery shopping and wanted to buy a bottle of apple cider.  The problem was this glorified apple juice was $7 a gallon.  I didn't need a gallon and I wasn't willing to pay $7 for it.

Instead I came home and decided to figure out a more cost effective way to give my kids a yummy holiday drink.



I always have fresh apples and apple juice concentrate on hand in my kitchen so I did an experiment.  I made the apple juice concentrate as the package directed poured it into a deep pan, added one chopped apple, a tablespoon of honey and a cinnamon stick.  Boiled it for half an hour (which made the house smell amazing) and viola warm cinnamon apple cider for around $1.50 rather than $7.

My husband mentioned adding caramel to it to make it even more special which led me to make an adult version by adding a shot of butterscotch schnapps and half a shot of whiskey, vodka, or spiced rum (which ever you prefer) to each individual glass.  The result was that it tasted like a caramel apple.  It was so good, easy and inexpensive. I can't wait until Christmas eve so I can make it again for my family and friends



Happy Creating


No comments:

Post a Comment