Monday, September 10, 2012

Emergency Travel Kit



I have always been a planner, an organized.  I've always been the one to think ahead of all possible outcomes and prepare for any disaster.  It only got worse when I had my kids because I feel that I need to keep stock piles of various things around my house just in case I may need to have something at hand.  I have band-aids in almost every room, a stash of diapers, wipes, and burp cloths in every bag, near every bed and couch in the house...you know just in case of an "explosion".  Well I surprised myself one afternoon during our "Saturday Adventure" when my son cut his foot and I was completely unprepared.  I had nothing, no band-aids, no extra sock, not even a napkin to sop up the blood.  How embarrassing, Supermom FAIL! Well, I wont let that happen again...Oh NO, I ran straight home and prepared an arsenal of Emergency Travel Kits of every size and kind.  I had seen a post on Pinterest about a travel kit a few weeks prior that was made out of an empty plastic box of wipes. Well that post got me thinking, "What else can I use, and while we are out and about, what do I usually need?"  Well after rummaging through my drawers, a quick trip to the dollars store and about $8, I constructed 6 kits. That seems excessive, but I need them all *wink*.

 Two kits are identical, they are the before mentioned kits I saw on Pinterest using old wipe boxes, both of those made their way into our two diaper bags.  They contain band-aids, alcohol wipes, antiseptic, hand sanitizer, wet wipes, tissue, bio freeze travel packets, and chap stick.


Then I created a mommy pouch for my purse, that has band-aids, lip gloss, yummy smelling lotion, various medicines for migraine, cramps, and colds, toiletries, and a pen.

Next came the car kits.  One was a big emergency kit, which contained seemingly random stuff like instant oatmeal, socks, a head flashlight, electrical tape, cough drops, more band-aids, Claritin, Benedryl, tissue, a lighter, and a few other things.  This is to be used if the car breaks down or we are out for the night and someone gets sick, which actually happened to me the other day and I had to spend $10 for one pill of claritin, I wished I has my Emergency Kit that night!!!



The second emergency kit was for Just-in-case things.  It went in the glove box for quick and more frequent uses.  I stocked it with eye glass cleaner spray and cloths, nail file, mini sewing kit, more wipes, more band-aids (see a pattern?), more hand sanitizer, napkins, a fork and spoon.  My husband teased me about this one but just one day after I put this in the car, catastrophe struck, his sunglasses were dirty beyond just a quick wipe on the shirt, and I got to bust out my Just-in-Case Kit.  He stopped laughing when he had clean glasses for the rest of our drive, LOL

The last kit was something that just saves us money.  I have a huge stock pile of tissue paper, gift bags, and cards for every occasion.  I hate buying these things from the store if I have them and sometimes I forget to grab a bag on our way out of the house so I made a kits for impromptu gift giving.  

Well there you have it, my OCD emergency kits for just about any everyday "minor" disaster I could think of. Well, maybe not, I know I could think of a lot more that I can stock my car and diaper bags with but i think that my husband would have me admitted!

Happy Creating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment