Thursday, February 7, 2013

Romantic Pink Tea-Party-Baby-Shower





For a while now I have been itching to share this baby shower that I threw for my best friend last year.  I'm not big on Valentines Day so I figured that due to the romantic pink nature of this baby shower, it might give a few people some good ideas for non-commercial-romantic table settings, cake or cupcake ideas.

Basically about a year ago my beautiful friend was preparing for her third bundle of joy and didn't feel like it was proper to have a third baby shower.  I like to find any reason to celebrate and since she had a pretty hard year I wanted to celebrate her and the fact that a new member was joining her family.  Well the baby was a boy but that didn't stop me from making everything PINK.  It's her favorite color and really the shower was to gather a few women who loved her most to celebrate the next chapter of her motherhood story.  So everything reflected her personal style.








The main table was decorated with mis-matched teacups, teapots, and saucers that were all filled with treats.
Usually I will have a separate dessert table but for this party I wanted it to feel casual and almost like the Mad Hatter's TeaParty (a very orderly girly version).  So the cupcakes, cake pops and cookies were spread throughout the table within arms reach of each guest so that they could take leisurely bites throughout the party.






She called her new bundle of joy her little owl so because it was a baby shower, after all, we added vintage owls and ultrasound photos to the table to honor "Little Owl".  Grey straws in champagne glasses, silver chargers and candle sticks gave the table a warm inviting feel. 






Grandma lent her crafty skills and created these beautiful tissue paper flowers that contained actual flower bulbs as favors that the guests were able to take home and plant in their gardens.

Rose cupcakes in tea cups



                             
Oh and we can't forget food, since it was a tea party, we served cucumber sandwiches, chicken salad dip and crab dip.

There were a few little girls at the party so we created a tea party just for them.
This makes me so excited for when my two little girls get big enough to have a "real" tea party !!

As a baker and self taught cake decorator my favorite part was the cake.

It was my first time attempting an ombre design and making ruffles, I was a little scared how it would turn out (but then again I am always a bit fearful that the cake will fall apart or taste like salt).
In the spirit of sharing here is a brief explanation of how to do an ombre cake...

  • First make your batter and divide into 3 or more bowls.
  • Bowl 1 do not add color
  • Bowl 2 add 1 drop of color
  • Bowl 3 add 2 drops of color
  • Mix each batter well, add more color to each bowl until you have the exactly shades of color that you desire
  • Pour into separate cake pans, bake and presto...you have ombre cake

all three cakes look the same on the outside

The same goes for the fondant, and icing:
First make the fondant, break off small (golf ball sized) pieces then add a drop or two of color, breaking off pieces between coloring so that the color is gradual. But make sure that you mix the color into the fondant before you take a piece off.  The smoother the color is between color additions the better.

It takes a bit of work but its is pretty easy.

Now the ruffle effect is a little more complicated and I will save for another post that will include pictures.


I hope you found some good ideas to make your "romantic" celebration special.

Happy Creating












No comments:

Post a Comment