Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful in Good Times and Bad




I was listening to AirOne yesterday, Brant was talking about things that we may be thankful for that we may not have thought about as blessings.  For example things that may have seemed like bad things, stumbling blocks along the way that actually worked out to be blessings in the end. That got me thinking   It is so easy for us to say how thankful we are for our house and our lives and our family and friends, the obvious things.  But what are we thankful for that has actually produced these blessings, the hard times that taught us lessons to shape our lives into what they are today.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 




With that kind of thinking we can actually turn any curse into a blessing.

Today I am unusually Thankful for...

My parents divorce...had they stayed together I would not have gone through the tribulations I did to grow up so strong, I may not have gone to the High School I went to so that I could meet my Husband. And I wouldn't have my two beautiful half sisters; Jasmine and Rosa.

My dad keeping me from getting a modeling contract...I am still mad at him for that but his decision kept me from a world that may have ruined me in the long run.  Now I have what truly matters.

All the boys who dumped me, said mean things to me, or broke my heart.  They taught me what I wanted in a spouse and gave me strength to move on.  And who knows maybe if one of those boys hadn't broke it off with me I would not have had the opportunity to be with my wonderful husband now.

It feels really weird to be thankful for the bad things that happened in my life but it is actually freeing.  It reminds me that when God closes a door he opens a window, sometimes he knocks down an entire wall, or gives you a sledge hammer so that you can demolish the whole room with the strength that he has provided you with.

Psalm 105:1
 Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness.

    Let the whole world know what he has done.

So maybe today, think about the storms you had to walk through and how they have blessed your life.



Happy Thanksgiving



No comments:

Post a Comment