Monday, October 22, 2012

Trash into Treasure



A few weeks ago the bestie and I felt motivated to kick start fall with some crafting.  I have a garage full of scrap wood from various projects that I can't bare to part with, a room full of paint and ribbon and she had a Cricut so we teamed up to make a few Halloween and Thanksgiving trinkets to put in our homes.  The best part about it, was it was practically free.  We used items that we had lying around.  I LOVE free stuff and so this project made me even more excited. Problem was, I was exhausted so we did the hard part (had my Super Husband) cut the wood, then cut out the paper letters and painted.  Well finally today I decided to finish up the project and assemble it all.  I am not sure what took me so long, all needed to do was glue some pieces together.  At least I was able to finish it before November :)

The first item I wanted to make was a cute sign for Halloween.  I chose the words "Trick or Treat" because I have a few pumpkins from last year that say "boo" and spooky".  All I did was cut the old scraps of 2x4 to the size I wanted and painted them black.




  After the paint was dry I glued on some Halloween-y paper, and then the letters that were cut from the Cricut.  If you don't have a cricut (which I normally don't) just find a font from the computer, print, cut and glue it all together.  I then took some teacup hooks and screwed them into the wood to hold all three pieces together. Tie on a ribbon and Viola!



The next thing we made were pumpkins out of 4x4's.  My husband purchased a 7 foot piece of 4x4 last March so that I could make big building blocks as a prop for my daughter's birthday party and I had so much left over, I didn't know what to do.

  I recently saw a pin on pinterest that used 2x4's glued together and I thought that was too much work.  So again I asked Super Husband to cut the wood into various sizes, I painted them all orange, glued some sticks (that I found in the backyard) to the top as stems and added a ribbon, Presto!  Trash into Treasure!

Look around your house, garage, yard and craft area, maybe you can come up with something easy fun and cheap as free to create for your home, or as gifts for friends and family this holiday season.

Happy Creating




No comments:

Post a Comment